Celebration of Excellence
For nearly 16 years, the Caltech Center for Inclusion & Diversity (CCID) has been honoring the members of our community who exemplify leadership and excellence in advancing inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility. Celebration of Excellence is an event to highlight Caltech community members and their efforts.
Our 2023 Award categories are as follows:
- The IDEA Ally Award: An IDEA (Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Accessibility) Ally is a person that actively promotes and aspires to advance a culture of inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility through intentional efforts that benefit marginalized people or the communities. This award is given to individuals who exceed everyday expectations and are dedicated to cultivating a diverse and inclusive environment to help create a campus where everyone has an opportunity to excel.
- The IDEA Advocate Award: This award is given to individuals who promote the needs and experiences of other students, staff, or faculty to challenge systemic barriers that impede individuals from contributing their skills and talents in the classroom, workplace, or community. Such actions include raising awareness, inspiring action, advocating for an equitable campus climate, and leading efforts to dismantle structural barriers upholding oppression, and discrimination.
- The IDEA Outreach and Education Award: This award is given to individuals who teach and inspire interest in inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility in the community at large through learning experiences and service. This person takes the initiative to participate in civic engagement through volunteerism, service-learning, and teaching initiatives as a change agent in the community outside of Caltech.
- The Candace Rypisi Outstanding Mentor Award: This award is given to individuals who are willing to share knowledge and enhance their mentee's professional and personal development. This person has provided emotional and moral support and encouragement while improving or helping facilitate access to career-related information and exposure to various professional resources. This awardee is someone who actively promotes their mentee's sense of competence, confidence, and belonging.
- The Outstanding Mentee Award: This award is given to individuals who demonstrate a sincere desire to succeed as researchers and are committed to their personal development. This awardee is open and willing to learn from their mentor and receptive to guidance and counsel while working with their mentor to establish realistic goals and demonstrating a commitment to carrying them out.
- The CCID Agent of Change Award: This award is given to individuals embodying servant leadership through a demonstrated commitment to steering institutional change within the Caltech community. This person takes the initiative and has the vision to translate a need into actionable steps or policy to create a legacy and a more inclusive campus climate.
- The CCID Activist Scholar Award: This award is given to individuals who demonstrated excellence within their discipline and research while engaging in complex social justice issues. This awardee has led or participated in advocacy campaigns centering on the experiences of minoritized identities and provided vision and leadership in forming affinity spaces and targeted support programs.
*The Agent of Change and Activist Scholar Awards were introduced in 2021. Dr. William "Bil" Clemons Jr., and Sarah Sam were the inaugural recipients for their dedication and leadership in moving the campus community forward in becoming a more inclusion and equitable environment.*
The IDEA Ally Award: Melissa Li
The IDEA Advocate Award: Claire Ralph
The IDEA Outreach and Education Award: David Cagan
The CCID Agent of Change Award: Maria Manzanares
The CCID Activist Scholar Award: Arianne Hunter
The Candace Rypisi Outstanding Mentor Award: Alexander Viloria Winnett
The Outstanding Mentee Award: Jenni Ji
The IDEA Ally Award: Rebeccah Warmack & Shreya Anand
The IDEA Advocate Award: Lily Dove & Adam Wierman
The IDEA Outreach and Education Award: Shelley Diamond
The CCID Agent of Change Award: Melany Hunt
The CCID Activist Scholar Award: Levi Palmer & Jennifer Yu
The Candace Rypisi Outstanding Mentor Award: Claire Saunders
The Outstanding Mentee Award: Anastasiya Grebin
Dr. Fred Shair Award for Programming Diversity
2021: Maura Dykstra, Peter Collopy
2020: Dawna Bagherian, Elena Mantovan
2019: Sofie Leon, Melissa Gutierrez
2018: Douglas Rees, William Schmidt, Jr.
2017: Bil Clemons, Trixia Buscagan
2016: Beverly McKeon, Emily Blythe
2015: Liz Jackman, Grace Leishman
2014: Victoria Orphan, Samantha "Pixie" Piszkeiwicz
2013: Michele Judd, Brice Nzeukou
2012: Raul Navarro, Anastasios Dimitriadis
2011: Joseph Shepherd, Teresa Juarez
2010: Shelly Diamond
2009: Neka Williams, David Doll, Greg Fletcher
2008: Ana Salazar, James Endrizzi
Dr. James King Jr. Award for Student Diversity
2021: Renee Wang, Abigail Jiang
2020: Dessie DiMino, Niv Karthikeyan
2019: Melany Hunt, Stephanie Threatt, Sophus Shackford
2018: Sarah Reisman, Sarah Sam
2017: Jennifer Weaver, Nikita Sirohi
2016: Harry Atwater, Stephanie Huard
2015: Portia B. Harris, Matt Gethers
2014: Larissa Charnsangavej, Wilton Mui, Marcella Gomez
2013: Karly Brockett, Chinenye Indigo
2012: Mary Neary Morley, Justin Liu
2011: Megan Dobero, Barbara Green
2010: Raul Gutierrez, Brandon Comella
2009: Donatela Bellone, Amy Trangsrud
2008: Aric Fitz-Coy, Geoffrey Lovely
WMW Candace Rypisi Outstanding Mentor / Helen McBride Outstanding Mentee
2021: Ella Watkins-Dulaney
2018: Leah Sabbeth / Stephanie Kwan
2017: Ivanna Escala / Mohar Chatterjee
2016: Katharine Saad / Alicia Lanz
2015: Moureen Kemei / Leah Dodson
2014: Suzanne Kern / Xi Xi
2013: Jill Craven / Sunita Darbe
COMPASS Outstanding Mentor Award/ Mentee Award
2021: John Bostick/Alexia Kim, Athena Kolli